Mac n Cheese fresh from the oven
When we arrived from Malaysia about 1 week ago, the first thing that the kids checked was the swimming pool… and they were so disappointed because the pool was so dusty… they were so looking forward to go swimming. A few days after that they emptied the pool…. Nurin said “Finally… they heard us!”, but after 2 days the pool was still emptied, so we asked the harris (caretaker) why was the pool still empty….he told us that they were going to do some maintenance to the pool…. and yesterday after one long week of waiting, the kids finally managed to go for a swim. These is how the pool look like yesterday…
This Mac n Cheese is one of Aina and Nurin favourite dish… they have been requesting for this mac n cheese since balik dari Msia and yesterday I baked one for them.
Mac n Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 chicken thigh – cut to small pieces (optional)
- 600 ml milk
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese (depend on how cheesy you want it to be)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheated oven to 175C
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the macaroni to al dente and drain. Set aside.
- Stir fry the chicken till 1/2 cook and then set aside.
- Heat up the oil in the sauce pan and then add flour. Cook for few minutes and then add the milk and let it boiled slowly and then add the chicken.
- Cook for few minutes. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the the top is golden brown. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.
Creamy Mac n Cheese
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio simply means Spaghetti with garlic and olive oil. This is a traditional Italian pasta dish that can be made cheaply without seasonal or store-bought ingredients, said to originate traditionally from the region of Abruzzo. As for my version, I did add some onion and capsicums simply because they add some sweetness to the dish and as for the herbs, you can add any type of herbs (Parsley, oregano or basil) that you want either fresh or dried.
- 1/2 lb spaghetti ( I used capellini)
- 10 prawns
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium garlic cloves – minced
- 1/2 large onion – diced
- 1/2 green capsicum – diced
- 1/2 red capsicum – diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil
- freshly ground pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta al dente and drain, saving about 1/4 cup of pasta water. While the pasta is cooking, gently warm the oilve oil in a large saute pan, add minced garlic and diced onion, heat until the onion soften. Add prawn and cook until pink and then throw in the diced capsium. Cook for another 2 minutes and then toss pasta in together with the salt and red flakes (if you like). If the pasta seems dry, add dribbles of the pasta water. Add in the dried basil and just heat through. Serve immediately with a good grind of black pepper and some grated cheese.
Homemade Mee Kuning
First time I heard about people making mee kuning was from my husband’s friend. He told us that his mum who was at the time working in Riyadh made her own mee kuning and sometimes sell them to asian family. I was so impressed… and since my sister has a friend whose mother makes mee kuning for a living, I decided to go and learn how to make it. Most recipes that you see in the internet use air abu but this lady uses sodium carbonate in her mee kuning and since she was nice enough to give me about 1/2 kg of that stuff, I just use sodium carbonate instead of air abu for my mee kuning. With 1 kg of flour, it will yield about 2 kg of mee kuning and if you store it in a fridge, this mee kuning can last more than a week.
- 1 kg flour
- 400 – 450 ml
- 10 g sodium carbonate
- 10 g salt
- yellow colouring
- Place the flour in a big mixing bowl.
- Mix together salt, water, sodium carbonate and yellow colouring into a measuring jug. Slowly add the water mixture into the flour until dough is formed.
- Pass a piece of dough into a smooth roller of a pasta maker machine. Repeat for 5 – 6 times until you get the desired thickness. Now, pass the dough into a cutter roller that make the noodles. Repeat until the whole dough completed.
- Bring a pan with salted water to a boil. Add the noodles for about 30 – 50 sec till the noodles float. Drain the water and then coat the noodles with cooking oil. Let it cool.
This was the mee kari that we had for lunch on Tuesday.
Ini pulak mee goreng… dinner semalam…
Last night my hubby had a product launching and dinner at J.W. Marriott, so, I end up cooking something that is easy and fast…Pad Thai… but the trick is you have to prepare the sauce ahead of time or you can purchase them from local grocery store. Pad Thai is one of the most popular Thai dishes, maybe it comes second after Tom Yam. Pad Thai simply means Thai Style Stir Fried Noodles. I got this recipe from Chez Pim blog but I modified the sauce a little bit to suit my taste .
Pad Thai sauce ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of palm sugar
- 1/3 cup white sugar (original recipe doesn’t have this…I add because I can’t taste the sweet part of the sauce…purely optional)
- 2-3 tbsp of fish sauce (original recipe ask for 1/2 cup…I think it is too much..too salty)
- 1/2 cup of concentrate tamarind juice
- 2 tsp chili powder or paprika
Pad Thai noodle stir fry ingredients:
- 100 g Dried rice stick noodles – soak for 30 minutes.
- 8 peeled shrimp / 2 oz chicken meat
- 1 egg
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of bean sprouts
- ¼ cup of chop Chinese chives
- 1 – 2 tbsp dried shrimps – pounded
- 1 – 2 tbsp of ground peanuts
How to prepare :
Pad thai sauce: heat a small pan on medium low and add fish sauce, palm and white sugar and concentrated tamarind. Cook sauce until palm sugar and white sugar have completely dissolve. Taste and adjust the flavor balance until it suits you. Then add the chilli powder, begin with a teaspoon or two, depending on your taste, and keep adding until it tastes the way you like it. By the time you’re done flavoring, the pot should be simmering happily. Turn off the heat and let the sauce cool down.
Stir fry the noodles: Heat a large work over high heat and add 3 tbls. oil. Add chicken and garlic. Stir rigorously for 1 – 2 min, then add 1 – 2 tbsp of sauce just to flavour the chicken. Cook for another 1 min. Add the noodles and 1/4 cup of warm pad thai sauce. Stir rigorously till the noodles soften. Taste and when it is ok, push the noodles to a side and crack egg in the middle. Leave for 10 – 15 seconds and then toss together. Add shrimps, ground nut, ground dried shrimps and bean sprouts. Add more sauce it it looks pale. When the shrimps cooked, add the chopped Chinese chives. Turn the heat off, and quickly give the wok a good stirring to mix everything together.
Salam and selamat petang…, just got back from picking my daugthter from her club activity. So glad that it is Thursday evening which means….weekend is here. Hari ni dah ketandusan idea untuk masak, fikir punya fikir, at last decided to make Laksa Kelate and Laksam. Recipe for this homemade Laksa and Laksam I got it from my friend Zue, thanks a lot for sharing. Kuah Laksa ni pulak is recipe that I got from my sister in law.
Laksa Kelate & Laksam
- 2 cawan tepung beras
- 3 cawan air suam
- 200 g tepung beras
- 50 g tepung kanji
- 1/2 tsp garam
- 200 ml air mendidih (I used 225ml)
- 1 kg ikan – rebus & ambil isi *
- 10 ulas bawang merah*
- 1 ulas bawang putih*
- 1/2″ halia*
- 30 biji lada hitam*
- 1 kg santan
- asam keping, gula dan garam
Laksam : Bancuh tepung beras dan air suam hingga sebati. Sapu minyak pada tudung periuk dan letakkan dlm kukusan selama 2 min, kemudian tuang 1/4 cawan adunan keatas tudung periuk tadi dan kukus selama 4-5 min. Angkat and gulung. Ulang process hingga adunan habis.
Laksa : Satukan kedua2 tepung dan garam, kacau agar semuanya bercampur. Masukkan air dan kacau dengan senduk kayu hingga sebati. Bila adunan agak2 suam, kepal dan masukkan ke dalam acuan muruku dan pusing ke dalam air mendidih yang di campur sedikit minyak. Bila timbul, angkat dan tos.
Kuah Laksa : Blend kesemua bahan yg bertanda* hingga hancur, masukkan dalam periuk, masuk santan, gula dan garam secukup rasa. Kacau hingga mendidih. Angkat dan hidangkan dengan ulam.