Assalamualaikum. Hopefully it is not too late for me to wish everyone Eid Mubarak. Ooppss.. some people maybe angry with the phrase that I use here.. Eid Mubarak.. hehehe. Why don’t I use Selamat Hari Raya? Perlu ke use arabic phrase? Melayu dah lupa their root ke? Well.. I don’t care what people say. If everything need to use the Malay words.. then every time I want to say Alhamdulillah, I need to say Terima Kasih Allah? Hmmm.. I don’t think so kan? Hehehe.. just saying.
Anyway.. this year is our 1st time celebrating Eid in Oman. Sedih? Sedih la jugak but I am grateful that even though we were celebrating Eid away from family and friends.. our daughters Aina and Nurin are with us in Oman to celebrate Eid. They were back from UK couple of days before Ramadan. As my other half said “.. the sense of completeness fills the heart..”hehehe. As usual.. the Malaysian Embassy did their Raya Open House on the first day of Raya. We did our own open house the next day… invited few families… dapat lah merasa suasana raya tu.
As for this cake.. I made it yesterday.. the cake is moist and delicious. Not that difficult to make.. took me a little over 2 hours from start to finish. Amount of eggs and butter used were very minimal except for the cream cheese.. it uses 500g. Quite a lot for just 3 layers of it. Anyway.. worth the effort and definitely a recipe to keep. The recipe was taken from here. Enjoy and happy baking peps!
Ingredient for Red Velvet Layer:
- 250g Butter
- 5 Grade A Eggs
- 235g Flour*
- 2 tbsp Cocoa* (* sift together)
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 150g Condensed Milk
- 1 cup (135g) Mixed Berries Yogurt or 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tsp Ovallette
- Red Coloring
Ingredient for cheese layer:
- 500g Cream Cheese
- 3 Grade A Eggs
- 120g Caster Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- Beat butter & sugar until fluffy. Add in ovallette, egg one by one while continue beating until smooth.
- Add in condensed milk & mix well.
- Add in flour mixture* gradually & combine with slow speed. Add in yogurt or buttermilk and red color; mix well.
- Beat cream cheese & sugar until smooth and combined.
- Add in egg and Vanilla Extract and mix until combined.
- Preheat oven to 170 to 190C… grease 8″X 8″ baking pan
- Weigh the red velvet batter and divide it by 9 ( the number of layers..mine was about 155g per layer)
- Weigh the cheese batter and divide it by 3 (the number of layers.. mine was about 141g per layer)
- Place the greased baking pan in the preheated oven for 1 mins. Then take it out and pour 155g of red velvet batter into the batter and bake it for about 6-7 min.
- Repeat the process for red velvet batter for another 2 layers.
- Now pour the cheese layer. bake until cooked.
- Repeat the whole process.. it should be 3 red velvet layers, 1 cheese layer, 3 red velvet layers, 1 cheese layer, 3 red velvet layers, 1 cheese layer.