Sardine curry puff aka kapipap sardin is one of my favourite snacks. Back when we were in Kuwait, I never felt the need to make karipap sardin myself… why??? Well… simply because there is a friend that always there for me to place an order hehehe. So.. when I first moved to Muscat, I’ll get whoever that wants to come to Muscat from Kuwait to bring a frozen karipap sardin for us… pathetic right? Well.. how long can a frozen karipap last especially when you fry them almost every other day. So.. I decided to try and make them myself. Lucky for me, I did try and learn from Azie how to make her famous karipap sardin when I was there. After couple of attempts, my other half finally said that I have perfected my karipap sardine..yeay… thank you again to Azie for being kind enough to give me her recipe.
Here is her recipe which I have already reduced to 1/3 (pengsan I kalau buat 1kg macam Azie hehehe..) If you would like to frozen this karipap sardin for future use, just fry them half way and let it cool completely before placing them in the freezer.
- 330g flour
- 1 tbsp margerine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp hot oil
- 1 can of 425g sardine – mashed coarsely
- 1 can of 185g tuna – mashed coarsely
- 2 onions -finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic -finely chopped
- 4 tsp chili paste
- 2 bird’s eye chilies -finely chopped
- 3 tsp tomato sauce
- 3 tbsp tomato sauce from the can
- salt and sugar to taste
- oil for sautee
- Place the flour, margerine and salt into the bowl and mix well.
- Heat up oil in a pan and then pour into the flour mixture. Mix well. Leave it to cool for couple of minutes.
- Pour water slowly into the mixture until you get a soft dough. The amount of water may varies depending on the flour. leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll and then cut the dough into circles. Put in a little filling in the center of the dough, fold over to make a half circle and crimp at edges. Deep fry in hot oil until golden.
- Heat large pan or skillet with oil, add in onion, garlic and chili paste, fry until fragrant.
- Add in sardine and tuna. Cook for few munites.
- Add in tomato sauce, tomato sauce from the can, salt, sugar and minced bird’s eye chili. Cook for another 5 minutes. Once cooked, set aside to cool completely. ( I normally drained the oil from the filling before using them)