Last Thursday, 6 Jan 2013 Gulf Bank (this is where my other half works…) has announced their Al Danah Millionaire of 2012…. the luckiest person this year is a girl from Jahra. I’ve been told that her father deposited a very small amount of money to her account just before the dateline to make sure that she will be eligible for the draw and she is now a millionaire. Masha’Allah. I guess this proves that you do not need to have thousands of dinars in the account to be a winner in a draw… but should you have more money in the account, the probability of your account to be selected is more… hai bila lah nak kena Jawhara draw ni (this is Nationak Bank of Kuwait punya draw) he he he… berangan jugak tu!
Okay… back to real stuff… Mocha cake he he he. The recipe was taken from Food Network – Ellie Krieger. This cake suppose to be a guilt free cake. If you follow the cake and frosting recipe diligently, a slice of this cake should only contain about 200 calories. Is that low? Well, don’t know much about this but this is what Ellie Krieger claimed in her Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger show he he he. For this cake, I didn’t use her frosting recipe simply because most of the review said that the frosting was terrible, so I just used my simple coffee buttercream frosting. What do I think abut this cake? Well,this cake is soft and moist, not too sweet and I would say enough to satisfy your craving for cakes if you are on diet but honestly, you can’t beat the real cake muahahaha. Having said that my girls love them so much. Happy baking ladies!
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- 2 ounces good-quality dark chocolate
- Arrange rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 175C. Spray a 9 by 13-inch cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl, then sift ingredients through a fine mesh strainer.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and oil. Add eggs and egg whites and whisk to incorporate. Fold in yogurt, vanilla, sugar and dissolved espresso powder. Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 90 seconds or over a double boiler. Fold chocolate into batter.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated; do not overbeat. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cake has risen nicely and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.