Homemade Keropok Leko
Keropok Leko is one of my family favourite snacks and we never get tired of eating them he he he. When I first came to Kuwait, I brought some with me and whenever my mum came over, she will bring some too but face it, it wont last forever… I have to find the recipe so that I can make them myself. Actually there are lots of recipes out there in the internet for you to try and this recipe was given to me by one of the mums here… thanks Atie for sharing the recipe. I think this must be the 6th or 7th time that I made keropok leko using this recipe, alhamdulillah menjadi and everybody in the family love it.
Fresh from the wok ….
Here is the recipe…
- 4kg fish ( I used mackerel)
- 750g tapioca flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- salt to taste
Waiting to be fried…
- Clean and fillet the fish and then place the fillet in a freezer for about 1 hour so that they become semi frozen.
- Mince the fish fillet using the meat mincer. (I used the dry blender aje)
- Add all ingredients and mix until they form a dough. This dough is kind of soft and stick to your hand… so don’t worry about it and DON’T add any more flour!
- Divide the dough into 20 equal balls. Take one ball and roll it into a cylinder. If necessary use some flour to sprinkle counter top before roll the dough.Or rub some oil on your hands to roll the dough. Repeat for all 20 dough.
- Prepare enough water in a large wok at high heat. When water rolling boil, place all the cylinder shape dough into it and boil until the dough floated on the surface.Then remove dough from wok, set aside to cool down.
- Once cooled, cut them into whatever shape that you like and deep fry in hot oil, or you can freeze them for later.
These ones are ready to be frozen
Moist Mocha Cake
Last Thursday, 6 Jan 2013 Gulf Bank (this is where my other half works…) has announced their Al Danah Millionaire of 2012…. the luckiest person this year is a girl from Jahra. I’ve been told that her father deposited a very small amount of money to her account just before the dateline to make sure that she will be eligible for the draw and she is now a millionaire. Masha’Allah. I guess this proves that you do not need to have thousands of dinars in the account to be a winner in a draw… but should you have more money in the account, the probability of your account to be selected is more… hai bila lah nak kena Jawhara draw ni (this is Nationak Bank of Kuwait punya draw) he he he… berangan jugak tu!
Okay… back to real stuff… Mocha cake he he he. The recipe was taken from Food Network – Ellie Krieger. This cake suppose to be a guilt free cake. If you follow the cake and frosting recipe diligently, a slice of this cake should only contain about 200 calories. Is that low? Well, don’t know much about this but this is what Ellie Krieger claimed in her Healthy Appetite with Ellie Krieger show he he he. For this cake, I didn’t use her frosting recipe simply because most of the review said that the frosting was terrible, so I just used my simple coffee buttercream frosting. What do I think abut this cake? Well,this cake is soft and moist, not too sweet and I would say enough to satisfy your craving for cakes if you are on diet but honestly, you can’t beat the real cake muahahaha. Having said that my girls love them so much. Happy baking ladies!
I promise this won’t make you fat he he he
- Cooking spray
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups lowfat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of hot water
- 2 ounces good-quality dark chocolate
- Arrange rack in center of oven and preheat oven to 175C. Spray a 9 by 13-inch cake pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a medium bowl, then sift ingredients through a fine mesh strainer.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter and oil. Add eggs and egg whites and whisk to incorporate. Fold in yogurt, vanilla, sugar and dissolved espresso powder. Melt the chocolate in the microwave for 90 seconds or over a double boiler. Fold chocolate into batter.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and stir until just incorporated; do not overbeat. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until cake has risen nicely and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
Agent Oso Birthday Cake
Kullu ‘am Wa Antum Bikhair … is a normal greetings that you will hear if you are in Arab world during Eid or New Year. It simply means “Wishing you blessings throughout the year” and I think it is appropriate for me to say Kullu ‘am Wa Antum Bikhair here since we are now just started a brand new year… and to start off year 2013, I would like to present to you a charming chocolate cake that I took from Rahel blog. This cake is easy to make and lovely to eat. I baked this cake for my son’s 5th birthday last year (wow! sound so long ago he he he). Actually his birthday was on the last day of the year i.e 31st December 2012… yes… end of the year baby. Happy Birthday Haqeem, we love you so much.
Steamed Wet Chocolate Cake for a birthday boy
Let’s check our the ingredient, shall we.
- 200 g flour
- 100 g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 eggs (B size)
- 200 g caster sugar
- 1 cup condense milk
- 1 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup hot water
Heat up your steamer before making the cake. Line and grease a 8″ cake pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and cocoa powder in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, condense milk and sugar till sugar dissolved.
- Add in the flour mixture into the wet ingredient and mix well.
- Add in cooking oil and mix well.
- Lastly add the hot water. Mix well.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and cover the top of the cake pan loosely with a piece of aluminium foil to prevent droplets from falling on the cake.
- Place the cake pan in the steamer and steam for 45-60 minutes.