Yesterday morning we received very sad news… one of Nurin’s closest friend Iman Marsh passed away on Friday after completing her Bronze Expedition. Up till now, nobody knows what really happened…. we were told by Nurin that Iman fainted while walking from the final check point to the bus. She was then brought to the hospital by the ambulances.
That night we called Iman’s sister Yasmin who happens to be Aina’s best friend… Yasmin told us that she Iman was fine but still in the hospital. We thought that she might have been dehydrated and needed to stay for the night in the hospital for IV drip. Yesterday morning, we were shocked to hear the news that she passed away. We went to school to find out what happened but the teacher also unable to give us the whole story. Nurin and Aina were devastated… I think this is the first time that someone close to them passed away… well, when my dad and my mother in law passed away couple years ago, they were too small to actually feel the pain…
Iman was buried after Asar prayers yesterday and we went to her house to say our condolences to the family…. Looking back at the incident…. it could have happened to anybody in the group and even though we were sad for the family, we were also grateful that Nurin came home safely knowing that she also fainted during the expedition. Our deepest condolences goes to Iman’s family and we hope that they will remain strong in this difficult moment. Al-fatihah.
The recipe for my Pineapple Chiffon cake is actually taken from my Pandan Chiffon Cake recipe. The cake was soft and has light taste of pineapple… I believe that the taste could be enhanced should I have in my pantry a pineapple emulco. Does anyone know where can I get hold of pineapple emulco? Mmmm… or may be next time I should used pineapple juice from blended pineapple rather than pineapple juice from the can. Anyway, here is the recipe.
- 4 egg yolks
- 70 ml corn oil
- 115 ml pineapple juice (I used Rani float juice with pineapple chunks)
- 100 g fine sugar
- 150 g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Wilton golden yellow gel (optional)
- 4 egg whites
- 90 g fine sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven at 175 C. Sieve together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, mix egg yolks, pineapple juice and sugar until well combine. Add in the corn oil and mix well. Lastly add the flour mixture and mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Add Wilton colour gel and mix well.
- In a mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy and then slowly add sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the egg white into the egg yolk mixture in 3 batches. Fold until well combined and pour into an ungreased chiffon cake pan. Bake for about 45 – 50 min or until skewer comes out clean.
- Invert chiffon cake immediately onto a wire rack and let it cool before removing from pan.