Egg is very important in my household…. simply because I love to bake and it is one the quickest way to cook especially at night to satisfy someone’s hunger kah kah kah. Kuwait has been experiencing a shortage of eggs for the last one week…the shelves at the local Coops, The Sultan Centre (TSC) and Lulu Hypermarket looked bare without eggs after local suppliers reduced supplies to push the government to give subsidies. Last Saturday I went to pick up a tray of egg at TSC near my house at about 3:00pm and guess what… no were no eggs at all… if you were desperate enough you have to buy the Omega-3 eggs which cost a bomb… 10 eggs cost KD1.600 whereas a tray of normal eggs cost only KD0.990. So I decided to come again the next day and the same things happened… no eggs by the afternoon. On Monday I determined to go early in the morning to get my egg supplies… alhamdulillah there were eggs but I have to settle for small eggs ***sigh… macamana nak bake ni… so terpaksa lah timbang in order to get the correct weight for the ingredient… luckily found the website that talk about how eggs are sized based on their weight. Here is some guideline just in case you guys ever need it…
- Small eggs weigh below 50g
- medium eggs weigh between 53 – 63g
- large eggs weigh between 63 – 73g
- extra large eggs weigh more than 73g.
Enough with my egg story… jom tengok cookies ni pulak. This cookies was baked during the last Eid but haven’t got time to post it until now. The recipe was taken from here. The original shape was mushroom and since didn’t have any mushroom cookie cutter in my collection, the girls decided to use ice cream shape which I think quite comel…
- 225g butter
- 75g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 300g all purpose flour
- 90g corn flour
- 15g milk powder
- 1 tsp emplex
- 1 egg white
- 90g icing sugar
- 1tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Sieve flour, corn flour, milk powder and emplex and put it aside.
- Cream butter and icing sugar.
- Add in egg yolk and vanilla essence.
- Add sieved flour bit by bit till soft dough is formed.
- Roll dough between 2 sheets of plastic into 1/2 cm thick and cut using cookie cutter of your choice. Arrange cookies on a tray lined with greaseproof paper.
- Baked in a preheated oven of 150C for 15- 20 mins.
- Once cooked cool completely.
- Beat egg white till fluffy.. add in icing sugar, corn flour and lemon juice.. mix well to form a smooth paste
- Spread topping on cooled cookie.
- Baked in preheated oven of 150C for about 10 mins.