Yeayyy…At last I managed to make this checkered cake after months of waiting for the right cutter. Thanks to Pn Zalina for “lending” me her cake cutter. Really appreciate it! So, now I can “tick” the checkered cake box he he he. Banyak lagi box yang nak di “tick” ni muahahaha.
Recipe for this cake I took from here but you can use any cake recipe that you like for this design. The cake that I used here is a normal butter cake and for step by step on how to assemble this cake, you can click here or here.
300 g butter
200 g caster sugar
5 eggs size B
250 g flour*
13 g milk powder*
1.5 g baking powder* – *combine and sift
28 g glycerine
1/2 tbsp chocolate emulco
- Preheat the oven to 170C and grease 2 set of 8″ cake pan.
- In a mixer, beat butter dan sugar till fluffy and pale.
- Add 3 eggs and beat for 5 min and then add the rest of the egg and beat till combine.
- Add flour mixture little at a time and fold the batter till well combine.
- Pour in the glycerine and beat for 15 sec on low speed.
- Divide the batter into 2 equal portion. Add the chocolate emulco to 1 of the batter and mix well. Leave the other half as it is.
- Pour the batter into the 2 prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Cool before decorating
- Slice each of the cake into half. Ensure that the layers are even.
- Cut each layer into 4 different rings.
- Coat each of the rings with buttercream, alternate the flavours and arrange them in a layer.
- After each layer, spread buttercream on it evenly. Then repeat #3 until all 4 layers completed.
- Frost the whole cake and decorate as desired.
These photos are taken from Passionate about cooking blog.