Kids are having their Easter holidays for 1 week but unfortunately for them, this holiday is a working holidays. Why? Well, right after the holidays Sofea will be taking her Year 7 Entrance exam and Aina’s first paper (Mathematics!!!) for her IGCSE exam is on 8 May.. just 4 weeks away, so this means study, study, study for everybody including me. As usual, when kids at home, my blood pressure goes up especially when the exam is just around the corner. At times I think that I am more nervous than them about these exams…. may be that’s how our parents felt during our exam time dulu dulu.
Anyway, today Sofea and Jasmine have a Birthday Party invitation at Ice Skating Rink, so I decided that both the kids and me really need a break… we were out since 10 am this morning and by the time we arrived home tadi, it was 5 pm. We picked up Sofea and Jasmine from Kimberly’s house about 3:30 pm , while we were at her house, her mum (May Yeen) showed me her vegetable garden at the roof top… it was lovely. She had strawberries, potatoes, tomatoes, chilies, celery, serai (lemongrass) and few other vegetables on her roof top… I’m so jealous… may be I should start gardening too. I wonder whether I have “green hand”…. anyway, she did gave me small lemongrass tree, so we’ll see if this tree will survive or not under my care kah kah kah. Below are some of the photos that I took from her garden.
Okay…. back to the recipe for today. This cake I baked last night and it was delicious… soft and moist. As usual, I took the recipe from Rima but I only made 1/2 of the ingredients below. Happy baking!
- 340g Unsalted butter
- 342g Cake Flour (I used normal flour)
- 2tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 500g Castor sugar (Please reduce this to 300g- original recipe is too sweet)
- 1.5 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 5 large Eggs
- 120ml (1/2cup) Whole milk
- 20g Natural cocoa powder
- 90ml Water
- Preheat oven to 325F/ 190C. Grease the inside of a 10′ bundt pan and dust with flour.
- Sift Cake flour, baking powder and salt and set it aside.
- In a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter at medium speed for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add sugar and continue to cream for 4 mins at medium to high speed.
- Add vanilla extract. Add eggs one at a time and mix at medium speed until well mixed.
- Add sifted flour mixture in 3 additions and alternating it with 2 additions of milk.
- Mix cocoa powder with water in a small bowl. Add 3 cups of the batter to the cocoa mixture and stir until blended.
- Spoon 1/3 of plain batter into the prepared bundt pan and smooth it to an even layer. Spoon 1/3 of the chocolate mixture over the plain layer and smooth to even out. Repeat until all batter is used up finishing with the chocolate layer.
- Bake at 190C for 60-75mins or until the skewer comes out clean.