I would like to wish a very happy new Islamic year 1433 Hijrah to all our brothers and sisters around the world. May we strive this year the attain Allah swt nearness, pleasures, forgiveness and mercy and may Allah bless us with happiness, good luck, good health and bliss for the upcoming year.
Hari ni tak de mood nak cakap banyak2, so kita straight to the recipe, okay? This cake I baked last Thursday and the recipe is taken from Martha Stewart website. If you look at the website, the cake is quite tall i.e 6 thick layers, so I decided to only use 1/2 of the ingredients.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups milk, room temperature
- Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple gel food coloring
- Preheat oven to 175C. Brush six 9-inch-round cake pans (or as many 9-inch cake pans as you have, reusing them as necessary) with shortening. Line bottom of each cake pan with parchment paper; brush again and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. Slowly add egg whites and mix until well combined. Add vanilla and mix until fully incorporated. Add flour mixture and milk in two alternating additions, beginning with the flour and ending with the milk. Mix until well combined.
- Divide batter evenly between six medium bowls. Add enough of each color of food coloring to each bowl, whisking, until desired shade is reached. Transfer each color to an individual cake pan. Transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of each cake comes out clean, about 15 minutes (working in batches if necessary).
- Remove cakes from oven and transfer to a wire rack; let cool for 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto a wire rack; re-invert and let cool completely.
- Decorate with your favourite frosting.