I have always wanted to try and make kek lapis …. but every time I look at the amount of eggs used in it… I decided not to try. Last week, I kuat kan semangat and tried to make kek lapis legit…. tapi I buat 1/2 ingredient aja…. tak nak membazir telur banyak sangat he he he. Did I succeed? Well… if you look at the appearance…. I would say… failed… but the taste was excellent. My other half said ” Don’t worry, try again… anyway it’s your first time… 30 eggs only cost KD0.990….” Inilah rupa kek lapis I yang tak jadi tu hu hu hu.
Anyway… since I have about 25 egg whites inside my fridge for over a week already, I decided to try to finish it, if not all, half pun jadi lah dulu. So, yesterday after searching for about 30 minutes, I decided to bake this angel food cake and alhamdulillah, it turned up better than the kek lapis legit tu he he he. The cake is soft and fluffy not to mention sweeeeet… The girls love it.
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites (10-12 large), room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar, divided
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla paste
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup sugar and the cake flour. Set aside.
- Beat egg whites until frothy, the add cream of tartar and salt. Beat until fully incorporated then begin to add the remaining 3/4 cup of sugar 1-2 tablespoons at a time. When sugar has been added, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Do not beat all the way to stiff peaks. Once you have soft peaks, add the vanilla and almond extracts and beat for a few seconds to evenly distribute.
- Sift the flour/sugar mixture over the egg whites in 6-8 additions and gently fold it in after each addition.
- Spoon batter into an ungreased 9 inch tube pan with a removeable bottom. Smooth the top with a spatula and tap the pan on the counter once or twice to ensure that there are no large bubbles lurking beneath the surface.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the top springs back when lightly pressed.
- Remove from oven an invert pan. Cool completely before removing it from the pan.