Today’s recipe is pulut kuning. Traditionally pulut kuning is served only on ceremonial events or special occasions such as Eid, weddings, engagements and at celebrations concerning newborns (bercukur or berbuai) and also when a child completes his or her learning of the Quran. This Pulut Kuning is normally served with rendang or serunding.
- 300g glutinous rice (beras pulut)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tamarind peel (asam gelugor)
- 2/3 cup thick coconut milk + 1/2 tsp salt, mix well
- 1 pandan leaf
- Wash the glutinous rice and then soak the rice with turmeric powder and tamarind peel for few hours.
- Drain the rice and take out the tamarind peel.
- Prepare the steamer and then place the rice and the pandan leaf into the steamer pan. Steam for 10 minutes.
- Remove the rice from the steamer and place in a bowl and pour in the thick coconut milk and mix well. Transfer the rice back into the steamer pan and steam for another 10-15 minutes.
Today once again Kuwait is covered with dust, visibility in the morning only few hundred meters. I’m quite surprised that when I sent my kids to school at 7:30am there was practically no traffic jam at all… well I guess everybody decided not to go to work or school today ha ha ha… and true enough, at 8:30am my daughter, Aina called and told me that I could come and pick her and Nurin up if I wish because there were not many students in their classes but later decided to stay until the school finishes.
This dusty weather is predicted to dwindle early Thursday morning, insyaallah. There is nothing good that come with dusty weather except for a drop in temperature. True enough, today’s temperature at 2:30pm was 27C whereas the last few days were about 34C.