Assalamualaikum. Yesterday we celebrated Mother’s Day in Kuwait… so Happy Belated Mother’s Day to all you fantastic and fabulous mothers out there. Anyway, as usual yesterday I started my day by preparing breakfast for my lovely daughters, then sending them to school blah blah blah and I have done this for the last 3 years and it is kind of boring!!! So when I went home, I felt like challenging myself a bit… after all what is life without any challenge! My mind keep thinking about the French Macaroons that I tasted few weeks ago courtesy from a family who just arrived from Paris. The macaroons that they brought were from the finest shop in Paris, can’t remember the name of the shop but there is in 360 mall Kuwait… been told that one macaroon cost 750fils which is about RM8.25… very expensive! So I started surfing the web for the recipe, and I found this page on how to prepare it. I have skip some steps and uses Nutella as a filling instead of the chocolate garnish. You can check the original recipe here. Alhamdulillah, it turned out OK but of course need more practice to make it perfect. The most important thing is my girls love it and may be next time I will make it using different fillings.
- Line 3 to 4 baking trays with baking sheet
- Use a round cookies cutter, press it into some cocoa powder or flour.
- Use the cookies cutter to make some round imprint on the baking sheet and set aside.
- Sift icing sugar and almond together and set aside.
- Place white eggs in a mixing bowl with the whisk attachment and beat on medium-high speed foamy, then add cream of tar tar and sugar and beat until soft peaks then add in the food colouring.
- Fold in the sifted mixture in 4 portions into the meringue. Do not over fold batter until it turn watery, batter should be slightly thicker than cake batter.
- Spoon batter into a piping bag and pipe it within the round imprint which had made earlier on.
- Let the macaroons to rest for 30mins. (This is to prevent it from cracking when you bake them)
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Bake a tray at a time for 20 – 25 mins ( I only baked mine about 10 mins)
- Remove macaroons and cool on a wire rack. (if ur having difficulty removing shell, spray a little water (mist) under baking sheet.. let it sit for a few sec and peel it off)
- Pipe the Nutella on the macaroon.
- Sandwich with another macaroon together.
- Keep in the fridge to let the filling firm.