Yesterday the Perwakilan Kuwait had a visit to The Amricani Cultural Centre or also known as Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah. Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah (DAI) is a cultural organisation based on a Kuwaiti private art collection owned by Sheikh Nasser Sabah al-Ahmed al-Sabah. Established in 1983 to transform the private collection of Sheikh Nasser Sabah al-Ahmad al-Sabah into a comprehensive exhibition of art from the Islamic world.
The al-Sabah Collection consists of a wide range of important objects, which include books, manuscripts, ceramics, glass, metal, precious stones and jeweled objects, architectural ornaments, textiles and carpets, coins and scientific instruments. The objects on display were collected and represent the full chronological and geographic spread of the Islamic world.
If you are interested feel free to browse their website and these photos are taken from the above website. Happy browsing.
Okay…. back to today’s recipe which is Black Forest Cake. I have baked this cake at least 3 times since I first stumbled on the recipe. Unfortunately, I forgot where I copy it from, so to whoever yang post this recipe… thank you very much and mintak halal je lah ye!
Chocolate Sponge Cake
- 3 egg yolk
- 100g sugar
- 120g flour
- 50ml oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 30g cocoa powder
- 120ml hot water
- 3 egg whites
- 60g sugar
- 1/4tsp cream of tart tar
- Heat oven to 170C. Gris and place parchment paper on a 7″ pan.
- Place all ingredients A in a bowl and mix them well using a wooden spoon. Set aside.
- Place ingredients B in a small bowl and mix them until the cocoa powder fully dissolve.
- Pour mixture A into ingredient B. Mix well and then set aside.
- In a mixer, whisk egg whites until foamy and then slowly add sugar and cream of tartar. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in the egg white into the ingredient A and B mixture in 2 batches. Fold until well combined and pour into the prepared cake pan. Bake for about 45 – 50 min or until skewer comes out clean.
Whipped Cream topping
- 300ml whip cream
- 25g sugar
- Chill mixing bowl and whippers in the freezer for 10minutes.
- Remove mixing bowl and whippers from freezer. In the mixing bowl, combine the whipping cream and sugar and whip the mixture at high speed until slightly stiff.
Other ingredients for assembly:
- Cherry/Strawberry/Blueberry filling
- Fresh fruits for decoration
- Chocolate rice/sprinkles /chocolate curls
To assemble Black Forest Cake:
Cut the cooled cake into three layers.
Place the first cake layer on cake board and spread a thin layer of whipped cream on the cake, followed by a layer of strawberry filling on top. Finally spread a thin layer of whipped cream on your strawberry filling and cover it with your 2nd cake layer.. and continue with the same method till the 3rd cake layer.
Spread the remaining cream on the top and the sides of the cake. Garnish the top and the sides with chocolate curls (I just used some sprinkles). Pipe 8 rosettes of whipped cream around the top edge. Top the rosettes with the cut strawberries.