Tepung Pelita is one of the must try Malaysian desserts. It is the most popular desserts during Ramadan… normally they will be the first one to be sold out regardless of their prices. 4 years back I think they were selling these desserts 5 for RM2, I wonder how much this kuih is selling now especially during fasting month. So, if you are a pro in making this kuih pelita, I would suggest you to open a stall in the Ramadhan Bazaar, you surely would make a fortune, well…not literally but you would make a substantial amount of money.
Actually I have been craving for this kuih pelita for quite some time already. My quest for the recipe brought me to a few sites/blogs of those who has made this before. My first attempt resulted in a disaster, I was devastated because the thought of all the ingredients that I have wasted and not to mention the expensive banana leaves that I just throw away…. Tension betul but luckily Pn Noor Aza came to the rescue. She suggested that I try this recipe taken from here and the outcome was marvelous! I was soo delicious… 2 thumbs up to the recipe owner.
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cup water
- pinch of salt and lime (kapur makan)
- 4 level tbsp rice flour
- 4 cups thick coconut milk
- Pandan juice (4 pandan leaves blended with a little bit of water) – I used few drops of pandan emulco
- pinch of salt
- Prepare banana leaf boat by cutting into 9×12 cm rectangles and folding it into boats. Fasten with stapler or toothpicks. (For step by step on how to make this boat please click here)
- Arrange banana boats onto a tray. Place 1 teaspoon of sugar in each boat.
- For bottom layer, place rice flour, water, pandan juice, salt and lime in pan a saucepan and mix well. Cook over a medium heat until thick and translucent. Spoon the mixture into banana boat until 3/4 full. Set aside.
- For the top layer, put all ingredients into a pot and stir until smooth. Cook over low heat until mixture thickens. Spoon the cooked top layer over the green bottom layer.
- Set aside to cool.